expr:class'"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, January 31, 2011

Poet-athlete profile: Sheldon W., Thomson Elementary School

Sheldon W., 5th grade
Thomson Elementary School

Years in DC SCORES: 1

Why did you join DC SCORES?

“Because I thought it would help to go onto my record to (get into) a good middle school). And because I also wanted to do it for the activities.”

What’s your favorite part of DC SCORES?

“I get to play soccer, I also get to do poetry.”

What have you learned during your first year?

“I learned that you have to have a lot of energy, you have to be nice and cooperate with your teammates and the other team.”

What does sportsmanship mean to you?

“You have to make sure (opposing players are) OK. If they’re not OK, you need to let the coach know. You don’t have to be cruel to the other team.”

What have you learned about poetry?

“I like to recite poems. (I’ve learned) that your words don’t always have to rhyme.”

Favorite rapper: Nicki Minaj

Favorite sports team: D.C. United

What was it like meeting D.C. United players at a clinic in the fall?

“It was really nice to get to play with D.C. United. A lot of people have been telling me I’m not really a soccer player, and with the help of D.C. United training me a little, I felt really good about it.

“I learned how to cross the ball better. Because usually, I can’t cross the ball and I end up falling. I’m really clumsy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment