expr:class'"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, January 10, 2011

Coach profile: Barrington Brown, Truesdell Education Campus

Barrington Brown, Truesdell Education Campus

Soccer coach

How long have you been with DC SCORES & how did you get involved?

"I’ve been involved since the summer of 1997 when DC SCORES collaborated with a youthwork I worked for named Sasha Bruce."

What’s your other job within or outside the school? 

"I am a teacher at Hart Middle School."

How did you get into education or start working with youth?

"I began teaching tennis to at-risk children when I was 15."

Why did you choose to work for DC SCORES; what attracted you to the program?

"They provided so much for children and it is ongoing."

Now that you’ve been doing it for a while, what do you enjoy most about it?

"The chance to watch children develop and grow."

Why is DC SCORES important to the school and the students it serves?

"It’s important because it teaches them the importance of teamwork, collaboration and community involvement. All these along with the academic component are key ingredients to becoming a productive citizen."

Was there an experience you had growing up that pushed you into education or toward doing a program like DC SCORES? Were you in a similar program?

"I had many people work with me to help me reach my goals. Yes, I was with the Washington Tennis Patrons."

What’s your favorite DC SCORES event?

"The games because the children get to play and meet each other."

What’s your most memorable DC SCORES experience?

"My most memorable was winning the Abe Pollin Award (which honors those dedicated to their communities) through DC SCORES a couple of years ago."

Who is your favorite athlete?

"John McEnroe."

Who is your favorite singer or poet?

"My favorite singer is probably Sade and poet is Mums."

Favorite food?

"Orange chicken."

No comments:

Post a Comment