expr:class'"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Volunteer Spotlight: Natalie Larkin, assistant soccer and writing coach

Natalie Larkin coaches the youth at Thomson Elementary.
Each month, DC SCORES highlights a volunteer that has made a significant impact on the program. It would be impossible to give 1,500 students throughout the District the quality programming they receive without the help of our volunteers. To learn about volunteer opportunities, visit www.DCSCORES.org.

This month we highlight Natalie Larkin, a DC high school student and soccer player who volunteers as an assistant soccer and writing coach at Thomson Elementary School. 

---------------------------------------

DCS: Where are you from and where did you go to school?

I go to Wilson High School where I am senior. This fall I will be attending Princeton University to play soccer as an outside defender. I am really interested in studying International Relations and they have a great program there, but my major is still undecided.

DCS: How did you get involved with DC SCORES?

My mom read an article in The Washington Post and she knew I was looking for a volunteer position, especially one that had to do with soccer. It was a perfect fit!

DCS: What do you find most interesting about DC SCORES?

I was definitely intrigued by the combination of poetry and soccer. I was lucky enough to be able to see both sides of the program because I coached at both the soccer and poetry practices. I was nervous at first because I don’t have a poetry background, but it was easy to transition to that mindset because the kids were so excited.

DCS: Describe your most enjoyable experience volunteering for DC SCORES.

I was unable to go to Thomson’s game days on Thursdays but my favorite thing was showing up to practice the following Fridays and all the kids would run up to me and tell me how it went and how well they had played. They were so excited and you could tell that they loved seeing and talking about their own improvement from week to week.

DCS: What motivates you to volunteer?

For me, soccer has given me something to really care about and I think everyone should have the opportunity to get involved in something and have the chance to get better at that thing. Soccer has been such a big part of my life and taught me so many things, and I just wanted to pass that on.

DCS: What do you like to do with your free time?

Other than playing soccer, I like to hang out with my friends and I like to go running.

DCS: Who is your favorite athlete?

Megan Rapinoe plays on the U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team. She is my favorite because she plays my position and plays it in a way that I hope to emulate. She is also very cool and outspoken, and is one of the only players that play overseas when she is not playing for the national team.

DCS: Who is your favorite singer or poet?

Beyonce is for sure my favorite. I listen to her newest album to pump myself up before soccer games.

DCS: What is your favorite food?

Burgers are my favorite and I don’t discriminate between burgers, so any restaurant will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment