expr:class'"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, November 5, 2012

Volunteer spotlight: Francesco Amorosino

Each month, DC SCORES highlights a volunteer that has made a significant impact on the program. It would be impossible to give over 1,450 students throughout the District the quality programming they receive without the help of our volunteers. To learn about volunteer opportunities, visit www.DCSCORES.org.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Written by Cory Chimka
Program Director

On a recent trip to Arts and Technology Academy for a game between ATA & MC Terrell, the play was impressive but mostly I noticed the game’s officiating. Referee Francesco Amorosino was most professional, displaying equal parts respect for the game and a mind for instruction of young players participating in one of their first competitive matches.

“I really like meeting the kids,” Francesco said. “They're good fun. And I like helping them understand a bit about the game.”

Francesco is a 17-year-old senior at Washington International School. He came to DC three years ago
from Rome, Italy, where
il calcio รจ una religione (translation: Soccer is a Religion!).

“I heard about (DC SCORES) from school and started off doing a few of the weekend events, then found out I could do the weekly refereeing too,” Francesco said.

“Seeing only one side of DC doesn't give you a complete picture. I like coming to the east side (of the Anacostia River) because it helps me get to know a little better the city I live in. I also love the passion the kids put into all of their games.”

During the school day, History class most interests Francesco. With a mind for journalism, he’s also the sports editor of International Dateline, Washington International School’s Premier Newspaper Since 1989.  

“That's pretty fun since I get to write all I want about soccer,” Francesco said.

Francesco inherits his passionate Juventus fanhood from his Dad and flexes his own futbol muscles as a player with the McLean Academy 18s.

When pressed to identify a favorite player, Francesco concedes, “I don't think I can really decide between Claudio Marchisio and Andrea Pirlo. The reason I like them so much is because they are both phenomenal soccer players; both play for Juventus, Italy; and both play in my position, centre midfield.”

DC SCORES thanks Francesco for being a champion for soccer in DC, a model referee, and a DC SCORES volunteer.

His reply: “Thanks to DC SCORES for doing a great job in a great city.”

No comments:

Post a Comment