expr:class'"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, October 15, 2012

Volunteer spotlight: Richard Lloyd, Tubman soccer coach

Each month, DC SCORES highlights a volunteer that has made a significant impact on the program. It would be impossible to give over 1,450 students throughout the District the quality programming they receive without the help of our volunteers. To learn about volunteer opportunities, visit www.DCSCORES.org.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS: So you have an accent; what’s that about?

Richard: (Laughing) I’m from London originally, but my wife is American which is why I’m here. I get that all the time.

DCS: What is your current profession?

Richard: l’m a freelance journalist.

DCS: Do you specialize in a certain area?

Richard: Legal.


DCS: How did you get involved with DC SCORES?

Richard: I used to live near the offices of the Washington Sports Alliance. I would walk by it all the time, so one day I stopped to look at their volunteer work, then I looked them up online. They are an umbrella organization from which DC SCORES is affiliated and that somehow led me to DC SCORES. I got in touch in touch with DC SCORES and they got me involved from there.

DCS: How long have you been volunteering with DC SCORES?

Richard: Since last March.

DCS: What made you come back this year

Richard: I had a great time. Coaching at a local school in Columbia Heights, Tubman, was really fun and very rewarding. From March to June the kids improved so much, ending with the Jamboree!, which is great and so much fun.
.
DCS: Describe your most enjoyable experience volunteering for DC SCORES

Richard: The Jamboree! - the whole of it. The kids have so much fun, the soccer was great and well put together. Also last week when one girl tried goalkeeper for the first time and she was very involved and keen to learn at the end said “that was great fun. Can't wait to do it again.”

DCS: What motivates you to volunteer?

Richard: I wanted to do something around kids and getting kids active and sports and was looking for a volunteer opportunity which combined those things. Having recently moved to DC, I realized I could use day time for something other than working and also I’m a sports man.

DCS: What do you like to do with your free time?

Richard: Watching a lot of soccer, cycling and running.

DCS: Who is your favorite soccer team?

Richard: Chelsea - 25 years running.

DCS: Who is your favorite player?

Richard: Of all time or currently?

DCS: Um, both?

Richard: OK, of all time Gianfranco Zola and currently Ramires.

DCS: What kind of music are you into right now?

Richard: Mid to late ‘90s British rock like The Verve.

DCS: If you could only eat one food for the next month what would it be?

Richard: Bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment