Elementary School Program Coordinator
DC SCORES is looking for music specialists to help middle school students create individual performance pieces. Every year, DC SCORES youth have the wonderful opportunity to participate in our city-wide Poetry Slam!. While the elementary school students perform both group and individual poems, the middle school students have the unique opportunity to write and perform their own songs.
These students are currently being led by their writing coaches through a curriculum filled with poetry and songwriting lessons. As a music specialist, you will assist them in turning their writing into three musical pieces to be performed as a group.
- Lead eight 60-minute sessions with middle school students.
- Collaborate with DC SCORES staff and coaches to implement the program and supervise students.
- Plan and conduct songwriting workshops with students to create three polished performance pieces using the students’ original poetry/writing.
- Provide opportunities for each student to demonstrate work and have a part/voice in the performance.
- Bring or create the music for the performance.
- Collaborate with DC SCORES coaches to prepare students to perform their music at the Poetry Slam!.
- Provide DC SCORES with a verbal/written summary of each session, a copy of students’ work, and a copy of the music on a CD.
- Provide DC SCORES with a background check and TB test prior to start date.
Dates of Employment: Now – November 29
Compensation: Specialists will be paid $50 per session and an additional $100 for the performance of the three students’ songs at the Poetry Slam! on November 28 or 29.
This is a great way to support DC youth, create art and have fun! If you are passionate about building a positive community with youth through creativity and self-expression, please contact Anna Cohen-Price, at email@example.com OR call (202) 393-6999 x307.