expr:class'"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Coach profile: Cassandra Wilkins, Raymond Education Campus

Cassandra Wilkins, Raymond Education Campus

Writing coach

How long have you been with DC SCORES?

Three years.

What’s your other job within or outside the school?

Teacher, mother, friend.

How did you get into education or start working with youth?

I've always wanted to be a teacher. My mother was a teacher for over 30 years and that is all I have known to do.

Why did you choose to work for DC SCORES; what attracted you to the program?

I was approached to work with the students with the poetry program and was curious, so I became involved with the program.

Now that you’ve been doing it for a while, what do you enjoy most about it?

The students’ enthusiasm with their writings and the fun of playing soccer. I love the camaraderie of getting together and sharing their poems, and the experience at Starbucks (readings).

Why is DC SCORES important to the school and the students it serves?

It gives the students a chance to learn and play at the same time. They learn about teamwork and working together for a common goal.

Was there an experience you had growing up that pushed you into education or toward doing a program like DC SCORES? Were you in a similar program?

I have aunts and an uncle who has retired from teaching. As I stated before, my mother taught for over 30 years before her death. I've been surrounded by this field all of my life.

What’s your favorite DC SCORES event & why?

The (Poetry) Slam! is one of my favorite events with DC SCORES because it gives the students a chance to express what they worked so hard to achieve throughout the program. They realize that what they are doing is important and worth the work they put in by experiencing this event.

What’s your most memorable DC SCORES experience?

When the students won 1st place at the Slam! (this year). They were very proud of themselves. Also, when James Peters, a previous player, went to NY to go to the (National Stock Exchange) to recite his original poem (at the National Poetry SLAM!).

Who is your favorite athlete?

My son Calil is my favorite athlete. But a well-known athlete that I really liked watching play is Michael Jordan.

Who is your favorite singer or poet?

A favorite singer of mine is Jill Scott. The rhythm that she expresses in her music is so melodic and meaningful.

What is your favorite food?

I'm ashamed to say it's junk food. But I love my country soul food. Fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, collard greens, BBQ ribs, etc...

No comments:

Post a Comment