expr:class'"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Thursday, November 18, 2010

DC SCORES coach profile: Samuel Levy, Brookland Education Campus

Samuel Levy, Brookland Education Campus

Soccer coach

How long have you been with DC SCORES and how did you get involved?

"This is my second official year with DC SCORES (third unofficially). I got involved when I found out that my school (Brookland @ Bunker Hill) has a soccer program!"

What’s your other job within or outside the school?

"I teach Pre-Algebra to 7th and 8th graders at Brookland EC."

How did you get into education or start working with youth?

"I started helping out in classrooms at Lynch Middle School in Holyoke, Massachusetts when I was at the University of Massachusetts. I really valued the experience and the rest is history!"

Why did you choose to work for DC SCORES?

"Soccer is a passion of mine from childhood, and I think poetry is cool and wanted to learn more about the art."

Now that you’ve been doing it for a while, what do you enjoy most about it?

"I love the soccer games (win or lose) and I love the Poetry Slam!"

Was there an experience you had growing up that pushed you into education or toward doing a program like DC SCORES? Were you in a similar program?

"I played soccer with DC Stoddert and played soccer at Wilson Senior High School. I also remember how exciting it was when the United States hosted the World Cup in 1994."

What’s your favorite DC SCORES event?

"Even though soccer is my favorite (part of the program), I can't help but be enthralled by the Poetry Slam!; the students have so much talent!"

What’s your most memorable DC SCORES experience?

"Brookland EC's Poetry Slam! championship in 2009."

Who is your favorite athlete?

"Currently, my favorite athlete is Steve Nash (a basketball player who shares my love for soccer!)."

Who is your favorite singer or poet?

"My favorite female singer/poets are Lauryn Hill and Jill Scott. My favorite male singer/poets are Langston Hughes and Maxwell."

What is your favorite food?

"Thai green curry."

No comments:

Post a Comment