expr:class'"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Volunteer spotlight: Deirdre Hart from Discovery



DC SCORES has more than 500 volunteers who help make our program possible for 2,200 low-income DC kids. From assistant coaching, to tackling our big events, to providing expert services and advice, to folding newsletters in our office, to reffing weekly soccer games, to taking photos and videos, and much more, our volunteers make a difference in many ways and with varying schedules.

Today we highlight a volunteer, Deirdre Hart, who has done everything from facepainting to fundraising for DC SCORES. Get to know Deirdre below, and if you'd like to help out this spring, sign up HERE!

----------------

What is your day job?
I’m in finance at Discovery. More specifically, our team manages the global accounting process for all programs produced by Discovery.

How did you first get involved with DC SCORES?
I found out about it through one of my best friends Jessica Rosen and Sean Hinkle (Chief Program Officer, DC SCORES). We have other friends who are involved and volunteer with DC SCORES as well! So a mixture of current staff, former staff, and friends.

Can you name some of the ways that you are involved with DC SCORES?
Obviously I volunteer at the major events, Fall Frenzy and Jamboree! I helped out at Our Words Our City this year as well. Internally, I do a lot of work to help recruit more Discovery volunteers through our finance team, and I am participating in Discovery’s Dollars for Doers program with DC SCORES this year!



Can you explain more about the Dollars for Doers initiative?
Dollars for Doers is a way for Discovery to support their employees and to encourage us to give back and contribute to our community. The program supports employees by making contributions to causes that we are passionate about. It gives us an incentive to become even more involved and make a bigger impact. If we volunteer for 30 hours over a program year to a nonprofit, Discovery will make a $3,000 donation to that organization.

How has your time with DC SCORES impacted you?
My biggest thing and what I love about DC SCORES is I love the opportunity it provides for kids. It allows kids to have something that they can do and participate in after school -- it keeps them active, which is super important to me, and it also grows their confidence. DC SCORES helps pave the way to success. It is amazing to see an 8-year-old killing it on stage at the Poetry Slam!. Volunteering with DC SCORES gives me a way to make an impact with kids in DC.

Can you share a favorite memory?
During Fall Frenzy, I signed up to volunteer and was assigned to face painting, and I thought, “Oh no, I’m an accountant,” but you all assured me that I would be fine. Well, while I was doing it, one of the moms asked me, “Woah, are you an artist??” and kids were lining up for me! That obviously made me feel great, but also all of the kids and families were so grateful and happy to be a part of the event. Doing the face painting was also amazing because it allowed me to sit and talk with each of them one-on-one, and that was really cool.



What motivates you to volunteer?
I think just giving back in general is so important for everyone. We all had help along the way in different ways and capacities. Growing up, I’ve always volunteered. You get a lot out of it and the people you are helping get a lot out of it as well. It makes the world go round, you know!

What do you do in your free time?
I like to travel, my husband is an airline pilot, so we love going to new places. I also enjoy going to see shows at different music venues, as well as exploring all of the other great things to do in DC. My husband and I are taking Spanish lessons right now, AND we recently adopted our dog, Bruno.

If you could ask your new dog one question, what would it be?
We adopted him 3 weeks ago, and he is about a year old. I wanna know what he looked like as a puppy! I would ask him to go find a photo for me because I bet he was even more adorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment