expr:class'"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Volunteer spotlight: Aya Takeuchi, program photographer

When people ask about volunteering with DC SCORES, they often think that if they can’t make it to a coaching session after school or a game day to referee, then there are no options available for them. However, our volunteer spotlight this month highlights an amazing volunteer who has demonstrated that there are other paths toward making an impact for DC SCORES.

Aya Takeuchi has supported DC SCORES as a photographer at many events, snapping great photos that we include in our communications (many of the photos on our Flickr page are Aya's!). Further, she has spread the word about DC SCORES and brought her network to a High Five Tour.

Without the help of volunteers and donors telling others about DC SCORES, there is no way we could successfully provide high-quality programming for 1,500 students throughout the District. If you would like to attend a tour or invite your friends to one, check out our tour dates HERE.

Please visit our website for a list of volunteer opportunities, but also reach out if you have other ideas. Photographers, poets, artists, designers, social media gurus and more are always needed!

For some inspiration, read about Aya’s experiences with DC SCORES below!

---------------------------------

DCS: Where are you from and where do you work? 

I am originally from Japan. I came to this country to study at the University of Maryland. I just got a new job offer literally today! I am currently working at U.S. Courts, but I will start working for Callahan & Associates on Oct 28. I am a software engineer.

DCS: How did you get involved with DC SCORES? 

I found it on a local TV news show! Then I went to the DC SCORES website to volunteer at Jamboree!.

DCS: What do you find most interesting about DC SCORES? 

The staff and volunteers who support the programs. They are wonderful mentors/role models for the kids.

DCS: Describe your experience volunteering for DC SCORES. 

I have been helping as a photographer. My job is to capture the moments of DC SCORES kids and their activities.

DCS: What do you like to do with your free time? 

Travel! I have visited 45 countries and counting! When I am in the DC area, I love to play volleyball. I have two league teams. I also love to sing karaoke (another outlet of my stress), take pictures and do volunteer work.

DCS: Who is your favorite singer or poet? 

I was raised to be a classical pianist and now I mostly listen to British music. I like singers from lots of different genres.

DCS: Who is your favorite athlete? 

I follow all Japanese athletes playing overseas!

DCS: Fun fact? 

 I said I play volleyball ... but I am only 5'2"! I am usually the shortest player on the volleyball court :)

No comments:

Post a Comment