expr:class'"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Thursday, July 17, 2014

From the ED's desk: An exhilarating first week at DC SCORES

Executive Director Bethany Henderson (right) with
Joachim von Amsberg, World Bank Vice President.
Written by Bethany Henderson
Executive Director

Friday I stood on the sideline of a soccer field cheering on DC SCORES summer campers in a scrimmage against World Bank employees, one of whom was a former soccer pro. Our campers won 3-1.

How’s that for a way to end my first week as DC SCORES’ new Executive Director?

Today is just my eighth day as part of this awesome team, but it’s already clear to me that this is a really inspiring and fun organization to be part of (if you’re a frequent reader of this blog, I’m not breaking any news to you!).

I spent the majority of my first week learning from my phenomenal predecessor Amy Nakamoto and getting to know some of the tremendous partners who contribute to and invest in our students’ success in myriad ways.

Highlights included a trip to headquarters of Volkswagen Group of America, which recently donated a van’s worth of soccer balls -- no joke! -- for our students’ use; meeting the amazing people at the Meyer Foundation, who have believed in DC SCORES’ mission for many years and have provided the capacity for the program to grow through the Benevon giving model; and a visit to the U.S. Soccer Foundation, whose partnership with us on their Soccer for Success program helped DC SCORES nearly double in size over the past two years.

I also began the process of getting to know our team - both the 15 staff members I now share an office with and our Board members, community leaders who devote much of their free time to helping us have a lasting impact in our community.

Teams drive our success at DC SCORES - in our home office and in all of our 47 schools. I believe it’s critical to get to know each and every person who contributes to a team’s success and the roles they play. That’s why during the upcoming months I hope to connect with many of you, whether in person or electronically, to learn about why you’ve invested in DC SCORES and our vision - why you’re part of our team.

I’m thrilled to be here, and I look forward to working with you!

---------------------

If you’d like to learn more about my background and what brings me to DC SCORES, please read the press release. You can also email me at bhenderson@americascores.org and follow me on Twitter @BRHtweets.

No comments:

Post a Comment