expr:class'"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, December 16, 2013

Volunteer Spotlight: Sean Conway, special events helper and fill-in soccer coach

Each month, DC SCORES highlights a volunteer that has made a significant impact on the program. It would be impossible to give 1,500 students throughout the District the quality programming they receive without the help of our volunteers. To learn about volunteer opportunities, visit www.DCSCORES.org.

This month we highlight Sean Conway, a Southern California native who has been a huge help at our special events!

---------------------------------------

DCS: Where are you from and where did you go to school?

I am from Southern California and went to University of Redlands. I was recruited there as a football kicker and started for the team my freshman and sophomore years. I studied abroad in Italy my junior year, and I played a lot of soccer there. When I came back I ended up making the university varsity soccer team and played throughout my senior year of college. I came out to DC in 2009 after I graduated and worked for a military nonprofit.

DCS: How did you get involved with DC SCORES?

My employer gave me the opportunity to volunteer with different organizations during this October and November. Coincidentally, I remember seeing the DC SCORES logo on someone’s shirt when I was walking around Columbia Heights. I assumed it had something to do with kids and soccer and I had to look into it because I’ve played soccer all my life and have also done some coaching. That led me to volunteer at the Fall Frenzy!

DCS: What do you find most interesting about DC SCORES?

I like that you have a comprehensive approach and don’t focus on just sports or just art. I think that a lot of times kids aren’t lucky enough to have parents that force them to do sports or after-school stuff. So it’s cool that DC SCORES provides that. I also feel like soccer is not as prevalent as football and basketball in the DC area, so getting kids thinking about soccer is pretty awesome.

DCS: Describe your most enjoyable experience volunteering for DC SCORES.

When I was given the opportunity to help with Imagine Hope Charter School at the Fall Frenzy. One of their coaches had to leave early, so I was asked to step in. I was hesitant because it’s hard to go into a group of kids that you have to convince to respect you and like you. But to be able to become a part of the team was really cool, and I was able to give them pointers on the field. By the end they wanted to take pictures with me and asked me to come to their practices. I’ve since maintained contact with the coach and plan on going to watch their games and practices in the spring.

DCS: What motivates you to want to volunteer?

I think a lot of times we get into the cycle of our own lives. This is cliché, but giving back feels good and it’s fun and you can meet people that share your passions and enjoy similar things. I know I had a lot of influential coaches and I just want to be able to give back in that same way. You hear stories about seeing kids blossom as a result of programs like DC SCORES, and to have the chance to be involved in that process was the motivation. We all have time to give, so why not?

DCS: What do you like to do with your free time?

I like to travel and play soccer. Like I said, I studied abroad in Rome when I was in college, and am constantly trying to figure out ways to go back. I’ve also been to Costa Rica and Mexico.

DCS: Who is your favorite athlete?

Zidane, because he’s always been a world class player and went out with a bang.

DCS: Who is your favorite singer or poet?

I listen to every type of music, but I really like Tupac and I would consider him a poet.

DCS: What is your favorite food?

Sushi!

DCS: Any other interesting information about yourself?

I really enjoy writing and hiking, and I hope to start volunteering with DC SCORES more regularly.

Sean is hoping to be involved with DC SCORES on a daily basis come spring time, and we look forward to his continued commitment and support! Interested in volunteering like Sean? Sign up HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment