expr:class'"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, August 12, 2013

Volunteer Spotlight: Tommy Cerisola, Washington International School student

Each month, DC SCORES highlights a volunteer that has made a significant impact on the program. It would be impossible to give over 1,450 students throughout the District the quality programming they receive without the help of our volunteers. To learn about volunteer opportunities, visit www.DCSCORES.org.

This month we highlight Tommy Cerisola, a student at the Washington International School who is a counselor at summer camp and looks forward to getting further involved with the program during the fall and spring seasons.

---------------------------------------

Are you currently employed/student? If so where?

I am a rising sophomore at the Washington International School

How did you get involved with DC SCORES?

The whole community service organization at WIS asked me to participate at DC SCORES because they knew that since I was born I’ve played soccer. They also know that I really like poetry and that I write poetry.

How long have you been volunteering with DC SCORES?

This is my first my year volunteering for DC SCORES as a (summer camp)counselor, but I look forward to volunteering in the fall and spring as a coach or referee.

What do you find most interesting about DC SCORES?

What I find most interesting is the combination of soccer and education to help underprivileged kids, who don’t have the opportunity to be on a team from a young age. DC SCORES gives them that. I found teaching the kids out on the field about the game makes the relationship with them off the field a lot stronger. Seeing them play soccer and write poetry gives you a lot of insight into the kids. It allows them to express themselves both in soccer and poetry – giving them a voice, which is really important.

Describe your most enjoyable experience volunteering for DC SCORES.

When we went to the zoo, because it was well organized, a great experience, everyone had fun, both kids and counselors. Everyone enjoyed learning about the animals and seeing them in their habitat.

What motivates you to want to volunteer?

Giving the kids the opportunity to be infinitely positive – playing soccer with them, experiencing an organized sport. When I was growing up, this was crucial being on a team. I want to provide the same to them and to their childhood.

What do you like to do with your free time?

Reading, playing soccer, playing tennis, and running, to stay in shape for soccer. I just finished Catcher In The Rye – it was really solid. I learned a lot of new vocabulary, which was great. And now I’m reading The Magician’s Assistant, but it’s really long so I’m taking my time with it.

Who is your favorite athlete?

Messi. He is Argentine, and we have so much in common. We are from the same country, city, and religion. He is a great player and a great person. He has organizations that focus on helping the underprivileged. Despite growing up in a tough environment and dealing with all of that, he comes out as a great soccer player and great person. I was born in Potomac (Md.) but my parents are originally from Argentina. I know the culture and the language because I attend the Spanish school every Saturday.

Who is your favorite singer or poet? What music are you into right now?

Bono. He is a great person when he is not singing and I enjoy his music so much. I am into rock, classic rock. Led Zeppelin, the classic ones.

If you could only eat one food for the next month, what would it be?

Pasta. Before games and after games, I love pasta so much.

Any other interesting information about yourself?

I just love playing soccer and look forwarding to being involved with DC SORES!

No comments:

Post a Comment