expr:class'"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Inspired Art Gala preview: Meet a pair of the silent auction artists!

We are just two days away from the third Annual Inspired Art Gala, and final preparations are being made around the office.

Among them is assembling the array of artwork inspired by the poetry of DC SCORES students. On Thursday at 6:30 p.m. at the Carnegie Institution of Washington, 28 professional pieces will be on display as the silent auction opens.

See all the artwork in this Flickr gallery. Then, if you haven’t, buy your ticket(s) to the Gala before 12 p.m. Thursday.

The art was created by a diverse collection of local and national artists interested in supporting the DC SCORES mission and the Gala. Many of them will be on hand Thursday to meet the children who inspired their works.

A couple weeks ago, we profiled a pair of artists. Today, we highlight two more who were kind enough to donate to our cause.

Kari Wojtanik (in her own words)
“I like to think of my work as a place where art and nature intersects. When I was young I loved playing in the dirt and making mud pies. Now I make art from them. There is nothing more satisfying to me than creating something from a lump of clay. For the past 30 years I have been evolving my ceramic style, form and function. I delight in creating just the right shape and combining just the right glazes. Attention to detail is very important to me. Each piece is one of a kind. Much of my inspiration comes from nature … its colors, textures and sounds. You would be surprised at what surrounds you on the city streets when you take the time to notice.

“While I spend every spare minute in my studio, I am a science geek by day. I have dedicated my career to promoting healthy lifestyles, particularly for our children. This is especially important in the District, where there are many underserved communities and growing health disparities. We must support our youth so that they can become healthy adults. DC SCORES offers an excellent opportunity to contribute to this ever-growing need.”

Rose Jaffe
Rose Jaffe is an illustrator and portrait artist from the District. She studied printmaking and drawing at the School of Art and Design at the University of Michigan, graduating in May 2012. She works part-time as an intern at Iona Senior Services, exploring the connection between art and healing. The rest of her time is spent teaching comic art and illustrating for freelance gigs across the country. Her work has been featured in Smith Magazine's six word memoirs, Consider Magazine, Gargoyle Humor Magazine, the Occupied Washington Times, and Hook Online Magazine.

To work with Rose on editorial illustration, comic illustration, children's books, commissioned portraits and more, contact her at jaffe.rose@gmail.com. Most of Rose’s work can be seen at www.rosejaffe.com, and the fun stuff is at www.rosejaffe.tumblr.com. Follow her on Twitter at @rozejaff.

No comments:

Post a Comment