expr:class'"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Volunteer spotlight: Drew White, soccer referee

Here at DC SCORES, we wouldn’t be able to run the only public elementary and middle school soccer leagues in DC without the commitment from our volunteer referees. These volunteers come to the fields every Thursday and Friday for game days; some to earn community service hours, some to reconnect with the sport they loved as a kid. It is with these dedicated community members that we are able to provide recreational safe spaces for over 800 DC youth to experience the thrill of competitive sports.

With our first game day of the spring season this Thursday, we would like to highlight one of our most exceptional volunteers from last season. Drew White consistently volunteered each week as a soccer referee at Raymond Education Campus. His dedication to the game and our organization is evident in his passion both on and off the field. Even though his schedule is demanding, he was able to take a moment to tell us a bit more about himself:

What do you do outside of refereeing for us?

I work as a financial consultant in the defense industry.

How long have you been volunteering with DC SCORES?

I started last fall.

How did you get involved with DC SCORES?

I stumbled upon the website while looking for volunteer opportunities that matched my interests, and I have played or coached soccer my whole life.

What do you find most interesting about DC SCORES?

I find it impressive that this organization puts as much emphasis on academic success as much as athletics.

What has been your most memorable experience with DC SCORES so far?

Having students thank ME for coming out to ref their games. That is unheard of — and very impressive. Amazing kids, really.

What motivates you to want to volunteer?

I love sports, and it makes me feel like I am doing something positive with my life and my free time. And when you're stuck in the office all week, it’s great to be outside if only for a few hours!

What do you like to do with your free time?

When I am not working, I love to read, watch my beloved Redskins, Caps and Terps. And I go jogging throughout the city.

Who is your favorite author?

Charles Dickens and John Grisham.

Who is your favorite singer or poet?

Professor Claudia Emerson — award-winning poet and professor at the University of Mary Washington. Great professor!

What is your favorite food?

Right now I am infatuated with Vietnamese and Indian.

What did sports and creative arts mean to you when you were a child?

Sports played an integral part in my childhood, and it helped introduce me to the people who are still my best friends today.

Thanks again, Drew, for taking the time to volunteer with DC SCORES and for telling us a bit more about yourself!

The people at DC SCORES are the ones that are really doing valuable work. Nonetheless, thank you for your recognition!

This spring, Drew will be volunteering again at our Thursday and Friday game days. If you are interested in joining us on the soccer field from 3:30-6 pm on beautiful afternoons, visit our website to fill out a volunteer application!

No comments:

Post a Comment