expr:class'"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, November 14, 2016

Bonding with the Bears, Part V: Poetry Slam! final preparations




Every week this fall we will be visiting the Barnard Bears during poetry sessions and soccer games to document the progress of the Bears. Follow along to see how students develop their writing and soccer skills and how the team comes together. We will bring you individual poet-athletes' stories in addition to stories about the team as a whole. Follow along our journey with the Bears on Twitter @DCSCORESInterns & Instagram @DC_SCORES

 -----

 Written by Elaine Lu
 Communications Intern

Last week with the Poetry Slam! just days away, the Barnard Bears worked harder than ever to make sure that their poems were the best that they can be.

When I asked the kids how they're feeling leading up to the Slam!, I got mixed reactions. Some said, "I can't wait! I'm so excited to perform in front of so many people!," while others shied away and responded, "I'm really nervous. What happens if I mess up?"

Most of these students have never preformed for such a large audience, so their nerves are completely understandable. Regardless of how the kids were feeling last week, I know that when it is the night of Poetry Slam! each student will have a blast.

Barnard's poem is about the students' ideal world. If you could change one thing in this world, what would you change?

While some students thought of sweet and simpler things, like candy or presents, others thought of larger global problems that other kids their ages face today.

Topics such as poverty, disease, and racism are mentioned in this incredibly profound poem. 

Dairelynn H., a fourth-grader, speaks about childhood cancer in her portion of the poem. "If I were in charge of the world, I would save kids with cancer."

"I came up with the line of my poem because when I saw the news, I heard about kids that were starting to die," she said. "I needed to say in the poem what is happening to them." 

Dairelynn as well as many of the other Barnard Bears are working hard to make their group poem meaningful to the audience to pass along a message. 

Aside from this poem, there will be a performance by four students -- Chinaedum, Lisben, Arilenny and Jeffry -- about perseverance. Additionally, another student, Emerson, will touch on helping others and working hard in his individual poem. 

With this level of inspiration and motivation, the Barnard Bears will definitely change history. I can't wait to see all of the Bears' hard work pay off this Wednesday! Join me by RSVPing for the free Poetry Slam!, which is 5-8pm at Columbia Heights Education Campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment